WordPress Popular Posts is a highly customizable widget that displays your most popular posts.
- Multi-widget capable – You can have several widgets of WordPress Popular Posts on your blog, each with its own settings!
- Time Range – List those posts of your blog that have been the most popular ones within a specific time range (eg. last 24 hours, last 7 days, last 30 days, etc)!
- Custom Post-type support – Want to show other stuff than just posts and pages, eg. Popular Products? You can!
- Thumbnails! – Display a thumbnail of your posts! (see the FAQ section for more details.)
- Statistics dashboard – See how your popular posts are doing directly from your admin area.
- Sorting options – Order your popular list by comments, views (default) or average views per day!
- Custom themes – Out of the box, WordPress Popular Posts includes some themes so you can style your popular posts list (see Widget Themes for more details).
- Use your own layout! – WPP is flexible enough to let you customize the look and feel of your popular posts! (see customizing WPP’s HTML markup and How to style WordPress Popular Posts for more.)
- Advanced caching features! – WordPress Popular Posts includes a few options to make sure your site’s performance stays as good as ever! (see Performance for more details.)
- REST API Support – Embed your popular posts in your (web) app! (see REST API Endpoints for more.)
- Disqus support – Sort your popular posts by Disqus comments count!
- Polylang & WPML 3.2+ support – Show the translated version of your popular posts!
- WordPress Multisite support – Each site on the network can have its own popular posts list!
- Shortcode support – Use the [wpp] shortcode to showcase your most popular posts on pages, too! For usage and instructions, please refer to the Installation section.
- Template tags – Don’t feel like using widgets? No problem! You can still embed your most popular entries on your theme using the
wpp_get_mostpopular()template tag. Additionally, the
wpp_get_views()template tag allows you to retrieve the views count for a particular post. For usage and instructions, please refer to the Installation section.
- Localization – Translate WPP into your own language.
- WP-PostRatings support – Show your visitors how your readers are rating your posts!
WordPress Popular Posts is now also on GitHub!
Looking for a Recent Posts widget just as featured-packed as WordPress Popular Posts? Try Recently!
- Flame graphic by freevector/Vecteezy.com.
Please make sure your site meets the minimum requirements before proceeding.
- Log in into your WordPress dashboard.
- Go to Plugins > Add New.
- In the “Search Plugins” field, type in WordPress Popular Posts and hit Enter.
- Find the plugin in the search results list and click on the “Install Now” button.
- Download the plugin and extract its contents.
- Upload the
wordpress-popular-postsfolder to the
- Activate the WordPress Popular Posts plugin through the “Plugins” menu in WordPress.
Done! What’s next?
- Go to Appearance > Widgets, drag and drop the WordPress Popular Posts widget to your sidebar. Once you’re done configuring it, hit the Save button.
- If you have a caching plugin installed on your site, flush its cache now so WPP can start tracking your site.
- If you have a security / firewall plugin installed on your site, make sure you allow WPP access to the REST API so it can start tracking your site.
- Go to Appearance > Editor. Under “Templates”, click on
header.phpand make sure that the
<?php wp_head(); ?>tag is present (should be right before the closing
- (Optional but highly recommended) Are you running a medium/high traffic site? If so, it might be a good idea to check these suggestions to make sure your site’s performance stays up to par.
WordPress Popular Posts can be used in three different ways:
- As a widget: simply drag and drop it into your theme’s sidebar and configure it.
- As a template tag: you can place it anywhere on your theme with
- Via shortcode, so you can embed it inside a post or a page.
Make sure to stop by the Wiki as well, you’ll find even more info there!