The Simple Website Redirect plugin allows to you redirect an entire website (except the WordPress admin) to another website.
The URL path and query string is preserved when redirecting to the new site. Ideally, the new site would handle any one-off redirects where a URL for an old page should point to a new page. The Redirection plugin is great for this purpose.
Find out more about website redirects for SEO.
Using this plugin is simple:
- Install the plugin
- Activate the plugin
- Go to ‘Settings’ in the WordPress admin menu and then click on ‘Website Redirect’.
- Enter the URL you want to redirect the site to, set the desired redirection type, set the status to ‘Enabled’ and save your changes!
Note: Redirection type can either be ‘Temporary’ or ‘Permanent’. It is recommended that you start with ‘Temporary’ while testing and then convert to ‘Permanent’ after testing for maximum SEO benefit. Please be aware that browsers cache permanent redirects.
If you don’t meet the below requirements, I highly recommend you upgrade your WordPress install or move to a web host that supports a more recent version of PHP.
- Requires WordPress version 4.0 or greater
- Requires PHP version 5.4 or greater
The Easy Way
- In your WordPress admin, go to ‘Plugins’ and then click on ‘Add New’.
- In the search box, type in ‘Simple Website Redirect’ and hit enter. This plugin should be the first and likely the only result.
- Click on the ‘Install’ link.
- Once installed, click the ‘Activate this plugin’ link.
The Hard Way
- Download the .zip file containing the plugin.
- Upload the file into your
/wp-content/plugins/directory and unzip
- Find the plugin in the WordPress admin on the ‘Plugins’ page and click ‘Activate’