Logged in users of your blog can predict outcomes of matches and earn extra points with bonus questions. Every player can view scores and charts of the other pool contenders.
This plugin installs some custom tables in the database and ships with match information for the UEFA Euro 2020 championship, but it can be easily populated with the match info for other championships or sports. Please note that deactivating this plugin may also delete all the plugin’s data from the database, so please check the ‘keep data on uninstall’ option on the settings page (it is enabled by default since version 2.3.1).
I originally coded this pool in PHP as a standalone website for the UEFA 2000 championship and rewrote the damn thing several times for every European Championship and World Cup since. Every year I added new features. In 2012 I decided to rewrite it as a WordPress plugin and uploaded it to the plugin directory. I hope you like it.
A special thank you to all the users of the plugin that donated some money! And also to the translators that found time to translate the many labels in this plugin. And thanks to all the users that reported bugs and helped improving the plugin.
- Users can predict match outcomes.
- Automatic calculation of the pool ranking. Or define your own custom ranking for a group of matches.
- You can add bonus questions for extra fun (single answer and multiple choice).
- Add your own teams and match info to use the plugin for another (national) competition.
- Import or export the game schedule.
- Automatic calculation of championship standing.
- Configurable scoring options.
- Use the built in pages and/or shortcodes to add the pool to your blog.
- Use different leagues for your users (optional).
- Users have charts where their scores are plotted. And they can compare themselves to other players. (Only available if Highcharts chart API is downloaded seperately, see Help for details).
- Several widgets and shortcodes to display info from the championship or the pool.
- Extra info pages for venues and teams.
- Add your own functionality via filters and actions (see help page in the admin) or this post in the forum for some examples.
- WP-CLI support for calculating the user ranking.
- WP-CLI support for importing match results via a csv file.
If someone wants to help translate the plugin in another language, or make the existing translations better ;), please visit the plugin’s page on translate.wordpress.org. The FAQ contains information on how to use a different language.
- This plugin requires WordPress 4.7 or higher, PHP 5.6 or higher and jQuery 1.4.3 or higher.
- If you want to use the charts feature, please download the Highcharts API from http://www.highcharts.com/download (see “Installation” or the plugin’s Help page in the WordPress admin for details).
The Football Pool plugin is available in several languages. See https://translate.wordpress.org/projects/wp-plugins/football-pool for all available translations, view the contributors or to help translating the plugin in your own language. I will keep including the original language files in the plugin until a language pack is available.
- Brazilian Portuguese (
pt_BR) by Márcia and Felipe.
- Swedish (
sv_SE) by Paul Söderholm.
- Hungarian (
hu_HU) by Leona Tolnai.
- Albanian (
sq) by Migen Nepravishta.
- French (
fr_FR) by Julien Blancher and Bruce Feuillette.
- Danish (
da_DK) by Morten Bilberg Rasmussen.
- German (
de_DE) by Frank Winter and aileesh.
- Polish (
pl_PL) by Łukasz Ciastoń.
The plugin has the following shortcodes. See help page in the admin for extra info.
Incompatible plugins & themes
The following plugins have been reported as not compatible with the Football Pool plugin. If you have a solution and/or are the author of the plugin you can contact me on wordpressfootballpool [at] gmail [dot] com. If you’re having problems with another plugin that is not in the list, please let me know.
Basically, every caching solution should be tested with care.
- DB Cache Reloaded Fix (v2.3)
- Cimy User Extra Fields (v2.6.1) when using the email confirmation option
- Easy Timer (for football pool version 2.3.8 and below)
- W3 total cache
- Theme Gadgetry (ThemeFuse framework)
Some themes prevent the plugin from displaying its content. See this post on the forum for a tip on how to resolve this.
To use your own custom translation see the FAQ for more information on translating the plugin.
football-pool.zipin the plugin panel (Plugins » Add New » Upload Plugin) or unzip the file and upload the folder
/wp-content/plugins/directory on your server.
- Activate the plugin through the
Pluginspanel in WordPress.
- Edit the plugin configuration via the admin menu.
- Optional: add the pages for the pool to your menu, or use some other method to link to the pages.
- Optional: add the “Football pool” widgets to your sidebar.
- Optional: add bonus questions.
- Optional: ‘upgrade’ existing users in your blog to pool players.
- If you want to use the charts feature please download the Highcharts API (http://www.highcharts.com/) and put the
highcharts.jsfile in the following path:
/wp-content/plugins/highcharts-js/highcharts.js. Make sure you use the classic js file including the styling. If you use the theme-less version, then you’ll also need to include the highcharts.css code in your theme.
After the pool has been set up, all you have to do is monitor the users that subscribe and fill in the right scores for the matches and the right answers for the bonus questions.