This plugin prevents WordPress from allowing and handling any search requests from the front-end of the site. Specifically, this plugin:
- Prevents the search form from appearing if the theme uses the standard
get_search_form()function to display the search form.
- Prevents the search form from appearing if the theme uses a searchform.php template
- Prevents the search item from appearing in the admin tool bar when shown on the front-end.
- Disables the search widget.
- Removes the Search widget from the list of available widgets
- Deactivates any search widgets currently in use in any sidebars (they are hidden, not deleted; they’ll still be in the proper locations if this plugin gets deactivated)
- With or without the search form, the plugin prevents any direct or manual requests by visitors, via either GET or POST requests, from actually returning any search results.
- Submitted attempts at a search will be given a 404 File Not Found response, rendered by your site’s 404.php template, if present.
- Disables output of
SearchActionin SEO schema by the Yoast SEO plugin.
The plugin only affects search on the front-end of the site. It does not disable searching in the admin section of the site.
- Install via the built-in WordPress plugin installer. Or download and unzip
disable-search.zipinside the plugins directory for your site (typically
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ admin menu in WordPress