Quick Access to BuddyPress Resources – Time Saver!
This small and lightweight plugin just adds a lot BuddyPress related resources to your toolbar / admin bar. Also links to all setting/ tab pages of the plugin are added making life for community managers/ administrators a lot easier. So you might just switch from the fontend of your site to ‘Activity Moderating’ (BP 1.6+), ‘Groups Admin’ (BP 1.7+) or the ‘Main Settings’ page etc.
- The plugin is primarily intended towards (multisite) admins and webmasters.
- Support for all native BuddyPress settings plus a huge list of supported plugins & themes out of the box (see below for full listing).
- Fully Multisite compatible, you can also network-enable it – full support of Multisite specific stuff!
- A massive list of resource & community links is included: support forums, code snippets, translations etc.
- A special – fully conditional – “Manage Groups” group where plugins like hook in.
- The added menu items by the plugin follow the same user cabalities as their original links – in other words: if a link to a settings page is not displayed without my plugin for a certain user role/capability it won’t be when my plugin is active!
- 4 action hooks included for hooking custom menu items in — for all main sections plus the resource group section (see FAQ section here for more info on that).
- 11 additional icon colors included 🙂 (changeable via filters)
- 7 filters included to change wording/tooltip and icon of the main item – for more info see FAQ section here
- For custom “branding” or special needs a few sections like “Extensions” and “Resource links group” could be hidden from displaying via your active theme/child theme – for more info see FAQ section here
- Fully internationalized! Real-life tested and developed with international users in mind! Also supports update-secure custom language file (if you need special wording…)
- Fully WPML compatible!
- Tested with WordPress branches 3.6 Beta, 3.5+, 3.4+ and 3.3+ – also in debug mode (no stuff there, ok? 🙂
The plugin is fully compatible with the latest WordPress version 3.4+/ 3.5+ and therefore with BuddyPress 1.6+ and 1.7+. It’s also still compatible with former BP branch 1.5 (and WP 3.3+) but we always recommend to run the latest versions. The plugin dynamically supports the different admin settings links in BOTH BuddyPress versions! — So, just go and manage your community. Use this time saver! 🙂
As the name suggests this plugin is intended towards community managers/ webmasters and administrators. The new toolbar / admin bar items will only be displayed if the current user has the WordPress role/cabability of
administrator. (Note: This can be customized via helper functions/constants, see FAQ here.)
At this time my plugin out of the box supports also links to settings pages of some BuddyPress specific plugins:
- Plugin: “BuddyPress ScholarPress Courseware” (free, by ScholarPress Dev Crew)
- Plugin: “BP Checkins 1.0+” (free, by Imath)
- Plugin: “BP Group Organizer” (free, by David Dean)
- Plugin: “BP Group Hierarchy” (free, by David Dean)
- Plugin: “BuddyPress Group Extras” (free, by slaFFik)
- Plugin: “BuddyPress Group Default Avatar” (free, by Vernon Fowler)
- Plugin: “BuddyPress Group Email Subscription” (free, by Deryk Wenaus + Boone Gorges)
- Plugin: “BP GTM System” (free, by slaFFik + valant)
- Plugin: “BuddyPress Relate Groups to Blogs” (free, by spurge)
- Plugin: “BuddyBox” (free, by Imath)
- Plugin: “BuddyPress Group Folders” (free, by Rudolf Enberg)
- Plugin: “CD BuddyPress Avatar Bubble” (free, by slaFFik + valant)
- Plugin: “Buddypress User Account Type Lite” (free, by Rimon Habib)
- Plugin: “BP Profiles Statistics 1.1+” (premium, by slaFFik)
- Plugin: “BP Profile Search” (free, by Andrea Tarantini)
- Plugin: “BuddyPress Portfolio” (free, by Nicolas Crocfer)
- Plugin: “BP Polls 1.2+” (free, by Themekraft)
- Plugin: “BuddyPress Extended Settings” (free, by modemlooper)
- Plugin: “BP Menus” (free, by modemlooper)
- Plugin: “BuddyPress Mobile” (aka BuddyMobile) (free, by modemlooper)
- Plugin: “BuddyPress Share It” (aka BuddyShare) (free, by modemlooper)
- Plugin: “BuddyPress Media Component 2.0+” (free, by rtCamp)
- Plugin: “BuddyPress BP Gallery” (free, by Caevan Sachinwalla)
- Plugin: “BuddyPress Login Redirect” (free, by Jatinder Pal Singh)
- Plugin: “BP Profile as Homepage” (free, by Jatinder Pal Singh)
- Plugin: “sxss Buddypress Shared Friends” (free, by sxss)
- Plugin: “Breadcrumbs Everywhere 1.1+” (free, by Betsy Kimak)
- Plugin: “BuddyStream” (free, by Peter Hofman)
- Plugin: “BuddyPress MyMood 1.6+” (free, by Ayush)
- Plugin: “BuddyPress Achievements” (free, by Paul Gibbs)
- Plugin: “BuddyPress Twitter” (free, by Charl Kruger)
- Plugin: “BP Code Snippets” (free, by imath)
- Plugin: “BuddyPress Custom Profile Menu” (free, by Sensible Plugins) (free lite version!)
- Plugin: “Invite Anyone” (free, by Boone Gorges)
- Plugin: “BP Trunk Junc” (free, by modemlooper) – Beta Tester plugin
- Plugin: “SeoPress” (free by Themekraft)
- Plugin: “Events Manager” (free, by Marcus Sykes)
- Plugin: “WangGuard” (free, by WangGuard Team)
- Plugin: “Members” (free, by Justin Tadlock)
- Plugin: “Members Import” (free, by Manish Kumar Agarwal)
- Your free or premium BuddyPress specific plugin? – Just contact me with specific data
At this time my plugin out of the box supports also links to settings pages of some BuddyPress specific/supporting themes or frameworks:
- Theme Framework with child themes: “Genesis Framework” (premium) via “Genesis Connect for BuddyPress” plugin (free since v1.2) – both by StudioPress/Copyblogger Media LLC.
- Theme: “Custom Community” (free, by Themekraft)
- Theme: “Frisco for BuddyPress” (free, by David Carson)
- Theme: “Elbee Elgee” (free, by Doug Stewart)
- Themes: “Visual” (premium) and “Fanwood 0.1.6+” (free) (both by DevPress)
- Theme: “Builder Framework” via “Builder BuddyPress” plugin (premium, by iThemes)
- Theme Framework with child themes: “Infinity (Anti-) Framework” via “BP Template Pack” plugin (free/beta, by PressCrew)
- Themes: “Gratitude” and “Buddies” (both premium, by Chris Paul/ZenThemes)
- Themes: “Business Services” and “BuddyPress Corporate” (both free, by WPMU DEV)
- Themes: “3colours”, “Bruce”, “Detox”, “Ines”, “Ice”, “NewYorker”, “Niukita”, “Soho”, “Solitude”, “Speed”, “Spyker” – all from 3oneseven.com (all 11 free, by milo317)
- Your free or premium BuddyPress specific theme/framework? – Just contact me with specific data
- Not only supporting official BuddyPress sites ALSO third-party and user links – so just the whole BuddyPress ecosystem 🙂
- Link to downloadable German language packs – only displayed when German locales are active (de_DE, de_AT, de_CH, de_LU)
- Link to official German BuddyPress forum – only displayed when German locales are active (de_DE, de_AT, de_CH, de_LU)
- NOTE: I would be happy to add more language/locale specific resources and more useful third-party links – just contact me!
- English (default) – always included
- German (de_DE) – always included
- French (fr_FR) – user-submitted – currently 22% complete for v1.6.0
- .pot file (
buddypress-toolbar.pot) for translators is also always included 🙂
- Easy plugin translation platform with GlotPress tool: Translate “BuddyPress Toolbar”…
- Your translation? – Just send it in
Credit where credit is due: This plugin here is inspired and based on the work of Remkus de Vries @defries and his original “WooThemes Admin Bar Addition” plugin.
- I am open for your suggestions and feedback – Thank you for using or trying out one of my plugins!
- Drop me a line @deckerweb on Twitter
- Follow me on my Facebook page
- Or follow me on +David Decker on Google Plus 😉
Tips & More
- Check out more great helper plugins for admins in my WordPress Toolbar / Admin Bar plugin series…
- Also see my other plugins or see my WordPress.org profile page
- Tip: GenesisFinder – Find then create. Your Genesis Framework Search Engine.
- Translations (GlotPress)
- User support forums
- Code snippets archive for customizing, GitHub Gist
- Plugin tip: My WordPress Toolbar / Admin Bar plugin series…
Enjoy using BuddyPress Toolbar? Please consider making a small donation to support the project’s continued development.
- English – default, always included
- German (de_DE): Deutsch – immer dabei! Download auch via deckerweb.de
- French (fr_FR): Français – user-submitted, only a few strings yet…
- For custom and update-secure language files please upload them to
/wp-content/languages/buddypress-toolbar/(just create this folder) – This enables you to use fully custom translations that won’t be overridden on plugin updates. Also, complete custom English wording is possible with that, just use a language file like
buddypress-toolbar-en_US.mo/.poto achieve that (for creating one see the following tools).
Easy plugin translation platform with GlotPress tool: Translate “BuddyPress Toolbar”…
Note: All my plugins are internationalized/ translateable by default. This is very important for all users worldwide. So please contribute your language to the plugin to make it even more useful. For translating I recommend the awesome “Codestyling Localization” plugin and for validating the “Poedit Editor”, which works fine on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Idea Behind / Philosophy: Just a little leightweight plugin for all the BuddyPress community managers out there to make their daily community admin life a bit easier. I’ll try to add more plugin/theme support if it makes some sense. So stay tuned :).
- Upload the entire
buddypress-toolbarfolder to the
/wp-content/plugins/directory — or just upload the ZIP package via ‘Plugins > Add New > Upload’ in your WP Admin
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Look at your toolbar / admin bar and enjoy using the new links there 🙂
- Go and manage your community 🙂
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please do only install with latest BuddyPress branches – that is v1.6+. The plugin is also compatible with the former 1.5 branch, though. Do never ever install this plugin together with older versions of BuddyPress! It will break your site. So, you’ve been warned.
Multisite install: Yes, it’s fully compatible but have a look in the FAQ section here for more info 🙂
Own translation/wording: For custom and update-secure language files please upload them to
/wp-content/languages/buddypress-toolbar/ (just create this folder) – This enables you to use fully custom translations that won’t be overridden on plugin updates. Also, complete custom English wording is possible with that, just use a language file like
buddypress-toolbar-en_US.mo/.po to achieve that (for creating one see the tools on “Other Notes”).