This powerful plugin allows users to receive email notifications of group activity. Weekly or daily digests are available. Each user can choose how they want to subscribe to their groups.
Please note that this plugin requires BuddyPress, as well as the BuddyPress Groups and Activity components.
EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION LEVELS
There are 5 levels of email subscription options:
- No Email – Read this group on the web
- Weekly Summary Email – A summary of new topics each week
- Daily Digest Email – All the day’s activity bundled into a single email
- New Topics Email – Send new topics as they arrive (but don’t send replies)
- All Email – Send all group activity as it arrives
DEFAULT SUBSCRIPTION STATUS
Group admins can choose one of the 5 subscription levels as a default that gets applied when new members join.
DIGEST AND SUMMARY EMAILS
The daily digest email is sent every morning and contains all the emails from all the groups a user is subscribed to. The digest begins with a helpful topic summary. The weekly summary email contains the topic titles from the past week by default. Summary and digest timing can be configured in the back end. (The admin can view a sample of the digests and summaries in the queue by going adding this to your url: mydomain.com/sum=1. This won’t send emails just show what will be sent)
The digest and summary emails are sent out in multipart HTML and plain text email format. This makes the digest much more readable with better links. The email is multipart so users who need only plain text will get plain text.
EMAILS FOR TOPICS I’VE STARTED OR COMMENTED ON (only available with BuddyPress legacy discussion forums)
Users receive email notifications when someone replies to a topic they create or comment on (similar to Facebook). This happens whether they are subscribed or not. Users can control this behaviour in their notifications page.
TOPIC FOLLOW AND MUTE (only available with BuddyPress legacy discussion forums)
Users who are not fully subscribed to a group (ie. maybe they are on digest) can choose to get immediate email updates for specific topic threads. Any subsequent replies to that thread will be emailed to them. In an opposite way, users who are fully subscribed to a group but want to stop getting emails from a specific (perhaps annoying) thread can choose to mute that topic. bbPress plugin users can utilize the “Subscribe” / “Notify me of follow-up replies via email” option.
Group admins can send out an email to all group members from the group’s admin section. The email will be sent to all group members regardless of subscription status. This feature is helpful to quickly communicate to the whole group, but it should be used with caution.
GROUP ADMINS CAN SET SUBSCRIPTION LEVEL
Group admins can set the subscription level for existing users on the group’s “Admin > Manage Members” page – either one by one or all at once.
To protect against spam, you can set a minimum number of days users need to be registered before their group activity will be emailed to other users. This feature is off by default, but can be enabled in the admin.
- Brazilian Portuguese – www.about.me/dennisaltermann (or www.congregacao.net)
- Catalan – Sara Arjona Téllez
- Danish – Morten Nalholm
- Dutch – Anja werkgroepen.net/wordpress, Tim de Hoog
- Farsi – Vahid Masoomi http://www.AzUni.ir
- French – http://www.claudegagne-photo.com, Sylvain Ghysens
- German – Peter Peterson, Thorsten Wollenhöfer, Jörg Lohrer
- Hebrew – Iggy Pritzker
- Italian – Stefano Russo
- Japanese – https://buddypress.org/community/members/chestnut_jp/
- Lithuanian – Vincent G http://www.Host1Free.com
- Russian – http://www.viaestvita.net/groups/
- Spanish – Williams Castillo, Gregor Gimmy
- Swedish – Thomas Schneider, Joakim Hising
NOTE TO PLUGIN AUTHORS
If your plugin posts updates to the standard BuddyPress activity stream, then group members who are subscribed via 3. Daily Digest and 5. All Email will get your updates automatically. However people subscribed as 2. Weekly Summary and 4. New Topic will not. If you feel some of your plugin’s updates are very important and want to make sure all subscribed members receive them, you can filter ‘ass_this_activity_is_important’ and return TRUE when $type matches your activity. See the ass_this_activity_is_important() function in bp-activity-subscription-functions.phpfor more info.
Major supporters: shambhalanetwork.org & commons.gc.cuny.edu
Other supporters: bluedotproductions.com
For bug reports or to add patches or translation files, please visit the GES Github page. Contributions are definitely welcome!
- Install plugin
- Go to the front end and set your email options for each of your groups
- On the group admin settings, set the default subscription status of existing groups
- For groups with existing members, go to the bottom of the manage members tab to set all members to the default subscription
- If emails are not being sent ensure that the activity component is turned on