Better Notifications for WP is a simple but powerful plugin for beginners to advanced users that allows you to customise the email notifications that WordPress sends using the WYSIWYG editor and shortcodes. All of the default WordPress email notifications are available to customise as well as lots of new ones. You can choose to send notifications to individual users, multiple users, all users in a user role, multiple roles – you name it! You can also power-up your notifications with Premium Add-ons. Emails are sent out via your WordPress website (using
wp_mail) but can be sent via SMTP using an appropriate 3rd party plugin should you wish.
Here’s a quick walkthrough of the plugin in action:
You want all the users in the Editor role to be notified via email when a new post is published and you’d like to customise it to include your logo along with the author’s name and date / time it was published – with this plugin, that’s easy.
A handy list of shortcodes you can use is available here.
Power-up your notifications using add-ons:
Notification Add-on Bundles – Everything you need for your WordPress notifications. Save big when you buy an add-on bundle. Instant access.
Subscriptions (GDPR) – Allow users to manage their subscriptions for BNFW notifications.
Conditional Notifications – Limit certain notifications depending on which categories, tags, post formats, or terms you choose.
Send to Any Email – Send notifications to non-WordPress Users.
Digest – Group multiple notifications into a single digest notification.
Global Override – Override some of the settings of notifications directly when editing a post, page, or custom post type.
Reminders – Send a reminder to your users and/or user roles when a post, page, or custom post type hasn’t been updated after a set amount of time. Also send a notification when a user hasn’t logged in for a set amount of time.
Multisite – Adds new notifications and shortcodes for WordPress Multisite to Better Notifications for WP.
Profile Builder – Adds compatibility and new notifications and shortcodes for Profile Builder Free, Hobbyist, and Pro plugins to Better Notifications for WP.
…and more coming soon!
The notifications that are currently available to use are:
- New User Registration – For Admin
- User Lost Password – For Admin
- Password Changed – For Admin
- User Email Changed – For Admin
- User Role Changed – For Admin
- User Logged In – For Admin
- WordPress Core Automatic Background Updates
- Privacy – Confirm Action: Export Data Request – For Admin
- Privacy – Confirm Action: Erase Data Request – For Admin
- New User Registration – For User
- New User – Post-registration Email
- User Lost Password – For User
- Password Changed – For User
- User Email Changed Confirmation – For User
- User Email Changed – For User
- User Role Changed – For User
- User Logged In – For User
- Comment Reply
- Privacy – Confirm Action: Export Data Request – For User
- Privacy – Confirm Action: Erase Data Request – For User
- Privacy – Data Export – For User
- Privacy – Data Erased – For User
- Profile Builder – Approval Request for Admin (Profile Builder Add-on)
- Profile Builder – Email Confirmation (Profile Builder Add-on)
- Profile Builder – Account Approved (Profile Builder Add-on)
- Profile Builder – Account Unapproved (Profile Builder Add-on)
- User Login Reminder (Reminders Add-on)
Posts / Custom Post Types
- New Post Published
- Post Updated
- Post Pending Review
- New Private Post
- Post Scheduled
- Published Post Moved to Trash
- New Comment
- New Comment Awaiting Moderation
- Post – Comment Approved
- Post – Custom Field Updated (Custom Fields Add-on)
- Post – Update Reminder (Reminders Add-on)
- New Trackback
- New Pingback
- New Page Published
- Page Updated
- Page Pending Review
- New Private Page
- Page Scheduled
- Page – New Comment
- Page – New Comment Awaiting Moderation
- Page – Comment Approved
- Page – Comment Reply
- Page – Custom Field Updated (Custom Fields Add-on)
- Page – Update Reminder (Reminders Add-on)
- New Media Published
- Media Updated
- Media – New Comment
- Media – New Comment Awaiting Moderation
- Media – Comment Approved
- Media – Comment Reply
- New Category
- New Tag
Custom Post Types
- New Term
Multisite (Multisite Add-on)
- New Site Activated or Created – For Network Admin
- New User Created – For Network Admin
- Network Admin Email Change Attempted – For New Network Admin
- Network Admin Email Changed – For Old Network Admin
- New Site Activated or Created – For Site Admin
- Site Deleted – For Site Admin
- Site Admin Email Change Attempted – For New Site Admin
- Site Admin Email Changed – For Old Site Admin
- New Site Activated – For User
- New User Created – For User
- New User Invited to Site – For User
If you’d like to see a notification in the list above, please drop me a line in the forum and I’ll see what I can do to add it.
This is an incredibly useful and highly rated plugin however, it’s possible that overuse or abuse of this plugin could upset your users by sending them too many notifications. By downloading / installing / using this plugin, you take full responsibility of the management / quantity / types of notifications that are sent out from it including abiding by any SPAM laws in your country / operating areas, dealing with / responding to subscription / unsubscription requests, complaints, and so on. I accept no liability or responsibility for SPAM or abuse of this plugin from the user(s) of or anyone that may receive notifications as a result of the use of this plugin. I’m trusting you, please don’t abuse your users.
- Upload the ‘bnfw’ plugin folder to the ‘/wp-content/plugins/’ directory or install it via your WordPress Admin.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Use the settings in the new ‘Notifications’ Menu item in the sidebar to configure the plugin.
- (Optional) Install a plugin to use SMTP instead of
wp_mail(). I recommend Post SMTP Mailer/Email Log.
- Test by creating a notification with some shortcodes.